Pádraig Rynne, Caoimhe Ní Fhlatharta & Tara Breen
Ennis, Co. Clare - Ireland
Presented in association with glór and Music Generation Clare, the workshop accompanies a concert by Notify with Séamus & Caoimhe Uí Fhlatharta at glór on Thursday 7th March.
In this unique workshop entitled sean-nós and trad creativity, young musicians and singers across County Clare are invited to learn from three of Ireland’s most esteemed Irish musicians; Pádraig Rynne (concertina), Tara Breen (fiddle) and sean-nós singer & fiddle player Caoimhe Ní Fhlatharta.
Deeply immersed in the music traditions of County Clare and of the Connemara Gaeltacht, Pádraig, Tara and Caoimhe are all recognised as musicians who are at the leading edge of the living tradition, charting new musical territories and building new diverse audiences for Irish music.
Centered on creativity and with the encouragement and experience of these expert tutors, participants will:
- review traditional Irish music frameworks and explore how these can be opened up for collaboration
- experience the oldest and the latest contemporary approaches to vocal and melody arrangements
- learn up to two sean-nós songs
- incorporate and learn Irish melody approaches that work with these songs, as well as standalone pieces
- create new arrangements for these songs
This workshop is part of a series of 4 workshops taking place in Portlaoise, Limerick, Cork and Ennis. These workshops accompany a series of special collaborative concerts by Notify with Séamus & Caoimhe Uí Fhlatharta, funded by the Arts Council | Traditional Arts.
About Pádraig Rynne, Caoimhe Ní Fhlatharta & Tara Breen ›
This workshop is suitable for musicians / singers who have an interest in learning how instruments can accompany the ancient art of sean-nós singing.
All sessions will be delivered by Pádraig, Tara and Caoimhe together as a trio, who will teach songs in the sean-nós approach as well as melody music that is in the form of traditional Irish music with a twist. Creativity is central, and the musical imagination of the participant will be encouraged.
Timetable (Participants are required to attend all 3 sessions)
11:00 - 12:00 Sean-nós
12:00 - 12:15 break
12:15 - 13:15 Melody accompaniment
13:15 - 14:00 break
14:00 - 15:00 Arrangement around Vocals and Melody
Each participant will have completed a creative workshop that will provide them with a simple set of tools to begin to create their own arrangements within Irish traditional music and for sean-nós song.
- Workshop Fee: This workshop is subsidised by Music Generation Clare; registration is complimentary
- Registration includes one complimentary concert ticket for Notify with Séamus & Caoimhe Uí Fhlatharta at glór on Thursday 7th March
- Workshop participants are required to bring their own lunch / refreshments / drinks
- The workshop will be documented through photography - media consent forms will be made available
Schedules and Materials
- Participants should bring a notebook and pen
Venue Address & Telephone
glór, Causeway Link, Clonroad Beg, Ennis, Co. Clare, V95 VHP0
Tel: 065 684 3103
- midnight, Wednesday 14th February ‘24
- please note that after 20 participants have registered, we cannot offer any more places, there will be a waiting list only.
Who can register / criteria:
- Young musicians and singers aged 11-18 years; you do not need to be a Music Generation learner to apply for this programme
- Skill level - Intermediate and Advanced players
- Any instrumentation
- Young musicians who have experience as Irish traditional musicians
- Young musicians who have little/no experience with Irish traditional music but who are interested in exploring this genre
This workshop is suitable for young musicians / singers who:
- have an interest in learning how instruments can accompany the ancient art of sean-nós singing
- are excited about working with master musicians
- are happy to work as part of a team in a collaborative way
- As there are limited places available for this workshop (20 places) early registration is recommended
- Below is the online registration form – the deadline is midnight Wednesday 14th February
- Music Generation Clare will be in contact with all participants by email following registration
- If you are under the age of 18 you will need your parent or guardian to give their consent
- If for any reason you are unable to complete the online registration form email: firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Music Generation Clare on email@example.com or 086 0682164
This event is proudly supported by